Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Youtube ButtonFacebook ButtonTwitter Button

Armagh NI Supporters vs World United

Sunday 17th April 2011

WU made the annual trip to Armagh and welcomed Michael Boyd back into the team after a year out with a serious knee injury and weighing in with two goals he showed he had lost none of his prowess in front of goal.

With just an eleven man squad Manager Paul Moffett was forced to make adjustments and play several players out of their normal positions. However this had very little by way of an adverse effect as the team settled immediately taking control and dictating play. With his high octane performance Ansur was troubling the Armagh defence and could have scored the opener but for a fine stop by the home teams keeper. At the other end the defensive line up of Ati, Tony, Adrian McNamee & Robert looked to be coping comfortably with the Armagh strike force. However a momentary lapse from the normally reliable McNamee resulted in the opening goal when following a pin ball session in the box the ball ricochet off his boot into the net.

Undeterred WU continued to press and within minutes parity was restored when Asan side footed the ball home after the keeper parried a shot whilst under pressure from Ansur. With Chris Moffett’s marauding right wing runs and Rui’s surging runs straight at the heart of the home defence chances began to flow. However it was Barry, Armagh’s right back who showed the way to the net when his intended back pass eluded the on rushing keeper. Having taken the lead WU seemed to go into cruise control stroking the ball around the park at easy whilst limiting the opportunities of the home team. On one of their rare forays Armagh forced a corner and with the WU defence slow to organise front man Stewarty powered in a header from close range to again level the scores.

With half time approaching WU intensified their efforts and scored twice in quick succession to The first came when a whipped cross from Chris Moffett had defenders in a twist and as the ball squirmed to the back post Michael Boyd was on hand with a cool side foot finish. The second was a 25 metre drive from Rui which arrowed into the bottom corner giving the keeper no chance, a well deserved reward following his earlier strike which rattled the crossbar.

Half Time Armagh 2-4 WU

Following the restart it was business as usual for WU however the evergreen Gary in the home defence was inspirational in marshalling the defence to thwart the persistent attacks. Not to be outdone Adrian Murphy put in a great shift at the heart of the WU midfield, both disrupting the opposition and as provider for his own front men. With both sides unable to produce a killer pass the match was turning into a stalemate situation. However the scoring impasse was broken when the ball broke to Michael Boyd who neatly threaded a low drive through a ruck of players into the corner of the net. Further chances fell WU’s way but a lack of game-time meant Michael wasn’t able to achieve a comeback hat-trick. Also a creditable performance from the home keeper who made a number of saves, most notably getting down smartly to push away a blistering Tony Sherwani drive. With time a almost up and the WU defenders thinking about a well earned shower a Armagh midfielder cruised through the centre and his squared pass found Marcus who got the better of a one-on one situation with Hall.
Final Score Armagh 2 – 5 WU

After the game players enjoyed the craic and a friendly drink together in the Hole in the Wall Bar in Armagh and thanks to the hospitality of the Armagh NI Supporters club a delicious BBQ was served.