Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Youtube ButtonFacebook ButtonTwitter Button

Football for All Cup

Seaview, Sunday 8th May 2011

World United hosted a tripartite competition involving cross community team Limestone United and Unity a community against drugs team from Nottingham. The completion saw each team play each other once and it was the Unity lads who finished top of the pile on goal difference.

WU v. Limestone Utd

As always this was a tight affair with the game ebbing and flowing as far as possession was concerned. With play mainly confined to the middle of the park the first half was largely uneventful and no real goal scoring opportunities emerged. In any event the solid back line of Robert, Reg, Soli & Ati looked capable of handling anything that came there way.

Halftime 0-0

After the break WU took a firmer grip of the game as the central midfield paring of Aruna and Adrian Murphy sprayed passes down the flanks put LU’s defence onto the back foot. Midway through the half Aruna opened the scoring when he cut in from the left and tucked a low drive in at the near post. LU livened up and should have levelled the score when a cross from the right was met by an inrushing forward but his side footed rose over the bar. Minutes later Asen picked up a loose ball and let fly from 25 metres, his swerving dipping shot deceived the keeper to give WU a two goal cushion. The game should have been well done and dusted but Stevie’s shot from the right side hit the post and a flick from Aruna rebounded out from the underside of the bar. As befitting their character LU didn’t give up and reduced the deficit when Paddy latched onto a through ball and neatly lobbed the onrushing keeper. However it was a case of too little to late as the final whistle went to give WU the victory.

Fulltime WU 2-1 LU

Limestone Utd v. Unity

The first impression of the Nottingham boys was they were well organised, comfortable on the ball and carried a potent threat. LU soon found this out as the goal tally quickly mounted with Unity finding the net six times without reply. The stage was set for a showdown between the hosts and the visitors.

LU 0-6 Unity, Scorers:- Tyrell Shannon-Lewis (2), Jerome Barracks (2), Dean Msungama (1) & Blair Anderson (1).

WU v Unity

The opening minutes of the game were cagey as both teams tested each other with probing runs from midfield which made for a decent footballing spectacle. The visitors were first to gain any real penetration but Robert in the WU goal blocked well from Unity’s left sided attacker. Doing some pressing of there own WU won a corner and from a sublime centre from Asen, Graham Parkinson powered home a diving header from six metres. Minutes from the halftime whistle Unity forced a corner on the left and although the initial ball into the box was defended Tyrell Shannon-Lewis latched onto the clearance and smashed home a low drive to level the score.

Halftime 1-1

Both sides used the breath of the excellent Seaview surface in an effort to expose any defensive frailties but with little success. WU’s revised central defensive pairing of Adrian McNamee & Parkinson were in good form repelling any potential threat from the visitors. As the half progressed it was Unity with their slick passing that looked likely to make a break through. However it was this total footballing approach which was there undoing when Asen dispossessed the fullback on the edge of his own box. Cutting in from the left he drew the keeper before tucking a low drive in at the near post. The hard earned lead lasted less than two minutes as Unity swept forward and when a ball through the centre found Anthony Bedwood his deft first touch allowed his second to be a half volley into the top corner. Again the game settled but with just over a minute on the clock Unity broke down the left and following some neat interplay the ball reached Blair Andrson in the box. His quick turn and smartly hit shot found the far corner of the goal and should have ensured victory. However straight from the restart WU broke down the right and an intended cross was inadvertently handled by a bemused defender. Cometh the hour, cometh Tony Sherwani who stepped up cooler than the “Fonze” to belt home the equaliser from the spot.

Fulltime WU 3-3 Unity

Unity won the tournament on goal difference and were presented with the Football For All Cup. Many thanks to Michael Boyd & the IFA for their sponsorship.


Unity Nottingham