Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Youtube ButtonFacebook ButtonTwitter Button



World United produced a sterling second-half comeback to overpower the Police in a feisty encounter at the Grove Playing Fields.

The visitors, starting with a number of debutants to add even more cultural flavour to the side, got off to the worst possible start as the P.S.N.I. went a goal up inside 60 seconds of the kick off. A through-ball from midfield caught the new look defence flat-footed as John-Paul’s slip allowed the P.S.N.I. striker time to drill home past Tom Hall.

Despite having the lion’s share of possession, it was the hosts who were creating the better chances on the counter-attack as W.U. struggled to find their rhythm.

W.U. almost drew level in bizarre fashion when John-Paul’s innocuous punt up field from his own half found the P.S.N.I. ‘keeper frantically back-peddling and just manage to tip the ball over the bar to spare his blushes.

The equaliser did however, come on 32 minutes when the hosts failed to clear the danger from a corner and lively winger Lionel whipped the ball towards the back post for Michael Boyd to head home his 3rd goal of the year.

Within minutes, the hosts had regained the lead. Having ran unchallenged through midfield, the skilful P.S.N.I. player evaded challenges from right-back Toraj and Reginald Vellem before squaring the ball to an unmarked team-mate. The player duly fired home from 15 yards, via a wicked deflection off Parkinson which deceived the partially-sighted ‘keeper behind him.


H.T.             P.S.N.I. 2 - World United 1

A pivotal moment of the game occurred just minutes into the second half when the usually reliable centre-half Vellem mistimed a long ball, allowing the home striker a clear run at goal. With only ‘keeper Tom Hall to beat, the veteran showed that his great shot-stopping skills haven’t diminished as he excellently saved the goal-bound effort at his right-hand post, thus denying the Police a third goal.

This missed chance was to prove costly as it seemed to galvanise W.U. into action and sure enough within minutes, the score was level again. Captain Aruna Djalo found half-time substitute Adrian Murphy in space and he in turn fed the ball to Niall Murphy wide on the left. With time and space, the youngster curled an exquisite right-foot effort inside the far post, giving the despairing ‘keeper no chance.

Just before the hour mark, roving winger Chris Moffett delivered a teasing corner for Ciaran Murphy to crash home with a bullet-header to give W.U. the advantage for the first time in the game.

With the hosts now beginning to tire and look demoralised, the three Murphy brothers combined to produce a series of slick, one-touch passes, culminating in Niall Murphy despatching his second and W.U.’s fourth.

Impressive striker Michael almost notched a debut goal with his spectacular overhead kick drifting narrowly wide before he turned provider, delivering a perfect slide-rule pass into the feet of Ciaran Murphy. The midfield work-horse made no mistake with a close range finish to wrap up the scoring and prolong W.U.’s unbeaten run.

Line up: Tom Hall, Toraj, Sean Paul, Reginald Vellem, Graham Parkinson; Lionel, Aruna Djalo, Eraj, Aste Mante; Michael Boyd, Mark.

Subs: Niall, Adrian & Ciaran Murphy, Chris Moffett

Any team interested in a friendly fixture with World United, please contact Team Manager Paul Moffett on 07756314692.