Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Youtube ButtonFacebook ButtonTwitter Button

United Nations at Seaview

World United welcomed there counterparts Inter-Group Games (IGG) from Letterkenny to Seaview on Sunday 27th February 2011.  Players from Portugal, Slovakia, Poland, Irish Travelling community and representatives from many different African countries came together in the name of Football and good relations. This was a return match following WU’s visit to Letterkenny in November 2010 which ended in a 1-0 win for IGG.

Speaking before the game IGG’s Manager, Billy Banda said “World Utd to us is like looking at ourselves, you have made us stronger because we have more or less the same background”.

With a strong squad of seventeen players the WU team started in confident mood against the visitors who quickly settled on the excellent 4G surface. From the outset both teams contested every ball and some robust but fair tackling ensued with Ian Boden in the thick of it. In the first quarter despite some great approach play scoring chances where few and far between.  WU where first to threaten and should have taken the lead, once when Niall forced a smart save from visiting keeper and a few minutes later when Paddy failed to connect properly with a low cross to the back post. Niall’s persistence eventually paid off when he latched onto a measured through ball and his shot from the edge of the area found the net.  For the remainder of the half the threat from IGG’s forward play was well contained by the home defence with competent displays from Reg Vellem and Tony Sherwani.


Half Time WU 1 – 0 IGG    


The second half saw WU Manager, Paul Moffett ring the changes with introduction of Ciaran Murphy, Soli and Fra. Ian Boden also left the field due to injury with Raymond Kamanga slotting in as an able deputy.  As WU adjusted to the changes the visitors took control of the midfield.  With some neat passing they increasingly penetrated the WU defensive set up and Tom Hall was called in to action on several occasions.  At the same time two players making their WU debut, both named Robert and both from Slovakia, showed they had enough skills to become permanent fixtures in the side. Midway through the half Chris Moffett made it two for WU when he sided footed home from close range following fantastic link play between Paddy and Ciaran Murphy, probably the best move of the game.  However the celebrations were short lived when IGG poured men forward to swamp the box and eventually score into the top corner of the WU goal. The visitors continued to dictate the play in the middle of the park and the inevitable happened when once again an outnumber WU defence succumbed to IGG’s marauding forward line. The ball eventually ended up in the net following gallant attempts by defenders to avert the danger.


Full Time WU 2 – 2 IGG


It was clearly a day when taking part was the important point and with honours even both teams can take a lot of credit and pleasure from the camaraderie that was present, on and off the pitch.

A big thank you to all who assisted with the after match refreshments and a special thanks to Mark Sweeney and others from Crusaders FC for their co-operation.